August 19, 2010

a quilt in the making

And what is life? A crazy quilt;
Sorrow and joy, and grace and guilt,
With here and there a square of blue
For some old happiness we knew;
And so the hand of time will take
The fragments of our lives and make,
Out of life's remnants, as they fall,
A thing of beauty, after all.

Excerpt from "A Crazy Quilt" by Douglas Malloch

I have been working on this quilt for a friend of mine (-:  It's actually a project that should have been finished years ago, but life (and..er, kids!) sort of got in the way and I tucked it aside ~ like so many creative endeavours...At any rate, I'm nearly done now, and that's a good thing (-: You see, a good friend of mine got married nearly 10 years ago now, and I thought it would be awesome to make her a 'marriage quilt', pieced together from fabric squares belonging to her friends and family. I got busy and wrote a lengthy letter explaining my plan and sent it to everyone on her wedding list, asking them to give me a piece of fabric that had some personal meaning to them, a sense of history, or something that linked it to my friend. I also asked that they include an explanation on a little card or such (-: And so, here I am, sewing away! I can't believe I let this much time go by..ten years! It's crazy, and yet with the presence of these two children of mine in my life, time just seems to blast by with unimaginable speed! I'm sure someone on that wedding list likely spilled the beans about my secret plan to my friend years ago, and there is also a good chance that she'll actually read this post..but I do not care. It feels good to follow through on this personal project and I just hope that she'll like the quilt (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
free counters