May 24, 2010

California Mission trip ~ part nine ♥ ~ Mission San Miguel



I have actually visited this mission twice since living in California. I think what is so special to me about it is the location, seemingly out in the middle of nowhere...The mission itself is pretty obviously restored, having suffered significant damaged by an earthquake in 2003. Of all the churches, this one is my favourite. It seems to be authentic in a way that many of the others are not, with their garish alter decorations and carpets. This church seems untouched for the most part, and that, I think, is so very beautiful and appreciated. We arrived late to Mission San Miguel but the church and front courtyard was open, so we looked around a wee bit, took a few pictures and then continued on our way (-:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
free counters